The following is the severe weather plan released by the FEI yesterday
Sept. 11, 2018
FEI World Equestrian Games™ Severe Weather Contingency Plans
We have an onsite weather station here at the Tryon International Center (TIEC) and the National Weather Service is providing us with weather updates every six hours.
If Hurricane Florence, which is currently forecast to stay to the east of the WEG venue, should change course we will receive much more frequent alerts so that we can advise you of any severe weather forecast for the Tryon region.
We already have robust contingency plans in place for use in the event of severe weather conditions and this includes sheltering plans for personnel and horses.
There are 1,288 permanent stalls onsite and all barns are built in conformance with the International Building Code to withstand winds up to 90mph (144kph), so the horses are in the safest place here on-site. TIEC became a refuge for horses from five states ahead of Hurricane Irma in August/September last year.
We are working with the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) to ensure that, in the event of extreme weather, all horses in Post-Arrival Quarantine will be stabled in Barn 5, not in the tent extension.
We are working with three different electrical suppliers and have numerous generators on-site. We also have two high-volume wells on property, both of which are attached to the emergency generators and which supply drinkable water.
For personnel, there are multiple sheltering options on-site to ensure human safety.
In the event of severe weather that will impact TIEC, the contingency plan will include:
• Accommodating all horses on-venue in permanent barns
• Moving grooms accommodated on-site to permanent buildings on-venue
• Advising on secure sheltering locations for all personnel
• Continuing discussions with airports and Emirates airline (through Peden Bloodstock/Dutta Corporation) on any necessary steps regarding horse arrivals/departures.
• Ensuring smaller tents in vendor area are tie-strapped together for security (large tents are designed to withstand winds of up to 90mph)
• Carrying out additional drainage/water channeling
• Purchasing additional fuel tanks and fill all fuel tanks
• Preparing to remove fence scrim already installed
• Taking down flags
Any decision on delays to competitions or potential cancellation, would be made in accordance with FEI General Regulations, Article 109.12: Subject to the unanimous agreement of the Tryon2018.com President of the Ground Jury, Technical Delegate and President of the Veterinary Committee in consultation with the Organiser, a Competition (either before or during) can be postponed and/or cancelled, not only due to force majeure, catastrophic occurrences, extreme weather conditions but also for non-compliance with FEI Rules and in specific situations where the welfare or safety of the Horses, Athletes, Officials or the public is compromised.
For immediate National Weather Service updates, text “WEG2018” to 888777 (US phones only) or check out the Tryon2018.com website and on Facebook and Twitter at @Tryon2018. Any potential updates to schedules and programming
AT THE PRESS conference yesterday, they had the operations director from the TIEC and the secretary general from the FEI speak.
They are getting updates from the National Weather Service every 6 hours and more frequently if needed.
The director of operations for the TIEC, Sharon Decker, did explain that Tryon has often been a "safe harbor for horses being evacuated from the coastlines in the past, but since the WEG horses were here that those evacuees this time were going to a couple of other large show facilities in the area, one that is called F.E.N.C.E.S.
She also said because of the area's location in "bowl" between the three mountain ranges here, the weather is most often more moderate than other areas in the Carolinas.
All horses have been moved to permanent stabling, all generators and emergency vehicles have had their fuel tanks filled, they have an evacuation plan if needed for horses and humans, which would include moving the grooms out of their small portable cabins and equipment
out of low lying areas where possible.
When the subject of the buildings not being finished was mentioned, the press conference moderator did quickly move the conversation back to the weather.